ISIS claims responsibility for Paris attack that left police officer dead

0
33

ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack on police officers on the Champs-Élysées in Paris this evening that left one officer dead and two others injured.

The terrorist group released a message through Amaq, its news agency, saying that the attacker was “one of the fighters for the Islamic State.”

The assailant was killed but has not been publicly identified, a police spokesperson said.

French President Francois Hollande said one bystander was injured during the the shootout between police and the attacker, and the area has been evacuated and is on lockdown.

Hollande said that all leads at this point suggest that the incident was of a “terrorist nature.”

A French police union previously reported that two officers had been killed in the incident.

French Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henri Brandet told local channel BFM TV that a man came out of his car while it was stopped at a light and started shooting at a police car. The attacker tried to run away from the scene and continued to shoot at the police officers while running, he said. There was an exchange of gunfire and that is when the attacker died, Brandet said.

PHOTO: Police officers block the access of a street near the Champs Elysees in Paris after a shooting on April 20, 2017.Thomas Samson/AFP/Getty Images
Police officers block the access of a street near the Champs Elysees in Paris after a shooting on April 20, 2017.

A French police union tweeted that an “individual in a car opened fire at a police car stopped at a red light, killing one policeman.”

Un individu, en véhicule, aurait fait feu sur une voiture de police à l’arrêt à un feu rouge abattant un policier.

— UNITÉ SGP POLICE (@UNITESGPPOLICE) April 20, 2017

Paris police posted a tweet telling people to avoid the area around the Avenue des Champs-Élysées without revealing any further details.

A subsequent tweet stated that there was “police intervention underway” in the area but gave no further details.

PHOTO: Police secure the Champs Elysees Avenue after one policeman was killed and another wounded in a shooting incident in Paris, France, April 20, 2017.Christian Hartmann/Reuters
Police secure the Champs Elysees Avenue after one policeman was killed and another wounded in a shooting incident in Paris, France, April 20, 2017.

The U.S. State Department‘s Bureau of Consular Affairs warned its Twitter followers to avoid the area “after a shooting.”

The Champs-Élysées is a long thoroughfare that has theaters, shops and restaurants and ends with the Arc de Triomphe monument, a major tourist destination.

PHOTO: Police respond to the scene of a shooting on the Champs-Elysees in Paris, April 20, 2017.APTN
Police respond to the scene of a shooting on the Champs-Elysees in Paris, April 20, 2017.

President Donald Trump shared “our condolences” with the people of France during a joint news conference with the Italian prime minister who is at the White House today.

“It’s a very terrible thing that’s going on in the world today,” Trump said, adding that he thought it was “another terrorist attack,” though there has been no formal confirmation of that at this point.

“What can you say? It just never ends. We have to be strong, we have to be vigilant,” he said.

The incident comes days before the French election, which is to take place Sunday.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here